Wednesday, November 26, 2014

What's This? Christmas Ale


What's this?
It's awesomeness, that's what it is!
"What's This? Christmas Ale" is the latest addition to Armbrewster Brewing.  This dark stout features the piney flavors of Columbus, Simcoe, and Brewer's Gold hops, with background notes of fresh ginger and vanilla bean, an, like the dead, only gets better with time!

The beer is at least 7.5% ABV (ABV will increase a bit as it ages), and is as black as your dark heart!  Well, unless you're a really nice person.  OK, but it's pretty dark.  I first brewed the recipe on 28 September, bottling a just over a month later on 30 October.  As of this writing, the beer has had around four weeks to age, and the harsher pine and ginger flavors have mellowed significantly, as this beer has matured.

Pours opaque and smooth, with a thick, light brown head that lingers for a few minutes. The aroma is similar to that of a Christmas tree.  The hops provide a noticeable piney flavor, followed by the bite of fresh ginger.  However, their harshness is quickly subdued by vanilla (straight from the bean) and dark, toasty malt, with a creamy mouth-feel.

Because of the way this beer was crafted, it is possible to age it if you desire.  If you've got a few bottles, try saving one for next Christmas, and let me know what you think!  I won't be able to try extended aging myself because I'm moving overseas and can't take them with me (beer doesn't ship well).

This is one of the three best brews I've ever made, and I'm extremely proud to present it.  If you're reading this page because you scanned the QR code on the bottle you're drinking, let me know what you think!  If you'd like a bottle, let me know and if you're within reasonable driving range of D.C., I can probably send a bottle or two your way.

This is the final label.  The QR code links to this website.


"What's This?" Christmas Ale is a sure way to bring holiday cheer to your Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment