Friday, September 26, 2014

Christmas Ale Recipe - and sweet lovin'

I'll be starting my Christmas Ale this weekend.  It will be the first time I've used grain, as opposed to LME (liquit malt extract), which means this is a big milestone for me :)

I'm using a recipe from a chef who goes by the name of 3_Creepio.  The description is that it "smells like a tree and tastes like presents". Sounds like a Christmas beer to me.

It is a stout, and should be dark and opaque, with thick head, and will leave some noticeable lacing on the side of the glass.  Has vibes of vanilla, orange peel, malt, chocolate, and spices, with definite piney notes.  I'll update this description after I try one of the bottles in a couple months.

The recipe comes from 3_Creepio's post on Homebrewtalk.com last year, with a few slight modifications.  He mentioned wishing he had added more hops, and so I have nearly doubled them (including adding Brewers Gold to the bill).  I'll also be steeping the grain for a longer period, and substituting Amber LME for Pilser LME (lighter in color, but the Chocolate Malt, steeping for a longer period, will help maintain the dark color)

This will be a 5 gallon recipe.

9.9.lbs. Pilsner LME, late additions (1/3 at 60 minutes, 2/3 at 10)
1 lb. Chocolate Malt, steeped at 150 degrees 30 mins.
1 lb. Crystal 40 Malt, steeped at 150 30 mins.
1 oz. Columbus Hops at 60 mins.
1oz US Brewer's Gold Hops at 45 mins.
1 oz. Columbus Hops at 30 mins.
1 oz. Simcoe Hops at 15 mins.
1 oz. Simcoe Hops at flameout.
Spice Bill (all added at 10 mins.)
1 lb. clover honey
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
2 bourbon vanilla beans, split
3 clementine peels (discarded at flameout)
Wyeast American Ale 1056, 2-step starter (approx: 370B cells)

Estimated OG: 1.082 Target FG: 1.021 ABV approx: 8.01% IBU approx: 55.73
(ABV might be higher because more malt is being added much later than in original recipe, and I'll have a lot more time to condition it)
The beer will likely remain in the fermenter throughout the month of October, and probably a week or two in November, to be bottled early-mid November.  This will give enough time for bottle conditioning and minimal carbonation by the 1st weekend in Dec, where this brew will be presented as one of the prizes at the MAWRA (Mid-Atlantic Whippet Racing Association) race meet 6-7 Dec in Dendron, VA.

This is the biggest, and most expensive batch I've ever made (cost a whopping $75), and I only have one shot at this.  But it's for Christmas, and will be the last brew I make before the Big Move*
*for realisies, this time!

What do I name this beer?  It's Christmas-ey, and I don't like boring names.  I thought of something like this:

which made me then think of Tim Curry:
who is also known for..... 

So.  Christmas.  Gangsters.  Bratty kids.  Sweet transvestites.  Any of these -- and more -- can be the inspiration for a name for this beer.  I've got time to think of one, and I'll gladly accept any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment